You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Where are we now? 11 months in.

December 30th, 2018

I downloaded the Dawn of Time version S Beta 6 codebase to tinker with. I started a new project, Lands of Oneiro, specifically to serve as a creative outlet to help in my battle with depression. I wanted to create a collaborative PVE hack-n-slash game with a focus on sharing, learning and exploring.

March 1st-7th, 2019

Alpha One testing ran the first week of March. There was only one race and one class to play.  The world was small: one player city, a small world map and two tiny dungeons. The test was short but there was a lot of useful feedback from the community.

April 20th, 2019

Marc Garrett (Daos) gave me The Darkening Sun’s source code folder. It was the most generous and amazing gift! Marc continued to develop The Darkening Sun long after The Dawn of Time’s final release. The code that he gave me represents years of work. He fixed many bugs and implemented tons of new systems.  I’m still exploring the code changes he made and learn something new from him every day.

April 25th, 2019

With the Dawn of Time forums completely dead, I was glad to find Stick in The MUD Podcast. Tark reviewed a lot of MUDs, played through some on the air and talked about game design choices that MUD admins make.  In Episode 23: Darkwind!, Tark reads my email thanking him for bringing awareness about depression to the MUD community.  He talks briefly about LoO. It’s neat to listen to the episode and realize how much the project has evolved since this last April.

June 4th, 2019

After I lost hosting for LoO due to several major life events happening at once, Opie from Vineyard graciously offered to host LoO for free. It was very important for me to be able to work on Lands of Oneiro as a creative outlet and during a terribly stressful time. With Opie’s generosity, the project continues and I can’t thank him enough for all of his support.

September 19th, 2019

SwiftAusterity from Titans of Text announced that The MUD Coder’s Guild and Written Realms were going to sponsor the first National MUD Building Month (NaMuBuMo) contest for October on a /rMUD thread. After merging code from LoO and DS, the test area files from Alpha One were no longer compatible.  I didn’t have a game world at all anymore! The game engine could compile and run but there was no content at all.  The contest sounded like the perfect reason to stop tinkering with the code and start building.  I spent the last week of September getting a builder port ready and sketching out a rough plan.

October 31st, 2019

I submitted my entry for NaMuBuMo. At the time of submission, I had built 100 rooms and 27 mobiles for the contest. We ended up with a new player tutorial zone, a player hub city, and two dungeons. The basic framework for our MUD is all there. The live game port was opened to share the contest entry with visitors just before midnight.  I stepped completely away from game development for a week to recover.

November 14th

Thibaud from Written Realms played through LoO’s tutorial Harmon’s Rock on his Twitch live stream episode Namubumo Walkthrough #4. He was a real trooper, reaching level 3 despite the fact that the quest journal hadn’t been scripted yet.  It was a new experience to see someone else playing the game and figuring it out. There was a lot of valuable feedback from watching his play-through.  The contest was a lot of fun and I gained an appreciation for Written Realms and the builders using Thibaud’s platform.

Today

I’m sharing the code repository in the hopes that we can learn and build together. There are a lot of code bugs to smash, quests to design and ideas to explore in the future. I can’t wait to see the world we create!